EM-KLEEN plasma cleaner
EM-KLEEN is a technologically advanced plasma cleaner used to clean specimens and chambers of electron microscopes and other analytical instruments, including SEM, FIB, FIB/SEM, TEM, XPS and SIMS. EM-KLEEN is easy to use, comprising a resistive LCD touchscreen controller with embedded microcomputer and a remote plasma source, installed on the vacuum chamber.
PIE Scientific is the first to introduce technology to integrate a pressure sensor, plasma sensor into the plasma tube. With real-time feedback from the pressure sensor and plasma sensor EM-KLEEN can automate the whole process to ensure optimal operation on any vacuum systems. No manual adjustment required!
Key features and benefits:
- high efficiency plasma discharge technology with inductively coupled plasma source
- high speed and gentle cleaning modes with easy exchangeable aperture
- unique monitoring of plasma strength - guides user to set up optimal recipes
- instant plasma ignition at extremely low pressures – guaranteed plasma ignition
- electronic gas flow with pressure sensor feedback control - user can directly control pressure
- 75W RF power at 13.56MHz – optimal for most applications
- microcomputer control with touchscreen user interface – ease of use, reproducibility
- remote PC control through RS232/RS485 - intuitive user interface
- intelligent "Safe" and "Expert" modes with user customizable warning message - ideal all levels of expertise
- supports 60 customisable recipes
- active fan cooling - high power, high speed cleaning
- over temperature interlock – system protection
- compact, portable controller - easily moved between different systems
Compact downstream plasma cleaner
The system flow controller automatically adjusts gas flow rate to maintain user-specified pressure levels inside the plasma cleaner chamber, with a miniature pressure sensor constantly monitoring the chamber pressure. The sensor can be used as a safety interlock trigger in "safe" operation mode and to count specimen loading events using the SmartSchedule™ feature.
EM-KLEEN has an integrated cooling fan to ensure high-power, high-speed cleaning without causing source overheat. The temperature sensor also provides interlock protection against source overheat during prolonged cleaning at high power. The plasma strength sensor measures the plasma strength in real time, meaning that users are no longer left to guess the plasma status.
Dimensions: EM-KLEEN plasma source: diameter 86mm, length 180mm. Controller: w 255mm, h150mm, d 350mm. The standard vacuum flange has a NW/KF40 fitting with adaptors for different SEM ports. A CF2.75" flange option is also available.
SmartSchedule™ - optimising process schedules
SmartSchedule™ is a unique and useful function built into EM-KLEEN controller which allows the user to set up optimal cleaning schedules to suit their workflow. Cleaning schedules are set based on time intervals or the number of specimen loading events. For example, if a SEM or FIB/SEM has no loadlock chamber, then the specimen chamber will be vented during specimen loading. Since EM-KLEEN plasma cleaner has an embedded pressure sensor, it can detect the pressure events during specimen loading and count the number of specimens processed. An example of user-defined schedules could be: run recipe 1 after five days or after EM-KLEEN has processed 10 specimens, or run recipe 1 after 60 minutes and repeat the process 20 times.
SEM application example
10 minutes scan before (left) and after (right) SEM chamber cleaning using EM-KLEEN
A two minute plasma cleaning - removal of carbon mark created in the previous scan. After a six minute plasma cleaning no dark scan marks can be seen on the specimen
In comparison tests EM-KLEEN cleaning rates are typically 3-5 times faster than other systems using the same specimen in the same SEM.
To learn more about the principles behind RF plasma cleaning for SEM, TEM and FIB specimens, holders and chambers see: EM cleaning.
Tested and approved across EM platforms
Ordering information: EM-KLEEN